Thursday, January 20, 2011

SWAGGER WAGON



I have two great friends that are going to have their first baby tomorrow. This is the most excited I've been for a baby to come in a while. It's pretty hard to be a parent and be cool. Who knows maybe they'll pull it off. The thing is I always thought marriage showed me how selfish I was, having kids shows you even more. There are a lot of things I hope for my kids. I must admit, I love sports and the idea of having a great athlete really excites me. I'm afraid it excites me too much. I want my children to be good people. That's more important than making a basket or getting perfect grades.

First things first, my children must realize that they aren't good. I'm not saying I want them to feel bad about themselves. I'm saying on our best day we're still horrible sinners deserving of God's wrath, on our worst day we're never outside the reach of God's marvelous grace. We have a way as parents letting our priorities get out of wack. Sometimes I worry way too much about my self, my coolness. Sometimes, I worry too much about my silly dreams for them. The most important thing you can do for your children is to teach them about Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment