Monday, October 25, 2010

Fat Pastors

I read a pretty good blog last week about fat pastors.  The author felt that a pastor's appearance undermined the gospel.  It shows a lack of self control for a pastor to look like the stay puff marshmallow man.  Being, somewhat skinny this could be something I could really jump on, but I'm not going to.  People like to point to the fact that our bodies are temples for the Holy Spirit. If we're going to use this verse to combat smoking, chewing and drinking we better use it to combat McChickens as well.(I just use that because a pair of McChickens assaulted my intestines today.)  I agree with this logic, but like anything we can take it to far.  If it's a matter of self control then we can't use weight as an objective means of measurement.  I know skinny people that can out eat a small army.  The real danger is the fact that I know a lot of skinny people that are vain.  I also sense in my own life the very real possibility of exercise becoming an idol.  The abstaining of food can be a source of self-righteousness, or we can become our own idols. 

Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths.  Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come.   I Timothy 4:7-8

I think taking care of your body is important, but not as important as training for Godliness.  In this image obsessed society, we should work on developing the fruit of the Holy Spirit.

3 comments:

  1. Stewardship is an issue here. We should make good use of the things God has given us; our money, our health, our time, our brains, our whatever. The parable of the talents makes the point that those who waste what God has given them will be judged. Paul also speaks against those who "live to eat", and gluttony is specifically mentioned as a sin, so those who are grossly overweight should examine their lives and determine if they are eating for their health or their pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more with what you have to say. I just think it's always easier to pick on someone else's "sins" than our own. The issue isn't weight, it's glorifying God in your body. That includes how we eat and why we eat as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, Paul says that all non-sexual sins are not body-temple sins. Temple upkeep is about sexual obedience, not diet.

    ReplyDelete