Friday, October 1, 2010

I've been following this story about the Georgia pastor being accused of having sexual relations with four men from his church since it first broke.  I've debated over whether or not I would weigh in on it.  First of all, people are considered innocent until proven guilty and I don't want to join a witch hunt.  Also, it wouldn't be unheard of for a man of God to be falsely accused.(eg Joseph and Potiphar's wife)  I'm not sure of his guilt or his innocence, although I do have an opinion.  What alarms me is some of the things I hear his church members saying.  They seem to be prepared to follow him blindly. 1 Timothy 5:19 warns us that we're not to hear a charge against a preacher unless confirmed by two or three witnesses.  From what I understand three of these young men were members of the church.  I love the idea of a church standing by their pastor, but sin can never be condoned.  All but one of the qualifications of a pastor in the bible are about character.  Showing who the man is, is more important than what he does.  The other one is that he should be able to teach.  Good preaching is not an excuse for bad character and neither is being a good shepherd.  Maybe, he's been there for a lot of his members and  cried with them.  Still, sin must be dealt with.  Sin of this nature is embarrassing to the man, the church, and the kingdom of our Lord Jesus Christ. I pray that he's innocent, but if he's not I pray his church desires to be obedient to God. 

Father, thank you for putting me into the ministry.  May my mouth never run too far ahead of my life.  I'm a sinner, but I pray that by your grace I'm always repenting.  I pray this church and pastor goes to you and your word for guidance.  Thank you that Jesus was innocent and was the perfect sacrifice for me. 

Here's an article about the situation.
Check out this article about pastors hiding from God

No comments:

Post a Comment