Friday, September 24, 2010

Faith No Matter What

I'm enjoying writing  this blog immensely.  As I've studied different blogs recently I've come to a few conclusions.  One, I'm definitely interested in sustainability.  I want to be here for the long haul, so you'll get some days with just quotes and I"ll take some weekends off. Two, I think Christians should engage the culture, but I'm not terribly interested in being hip and trendy.  Wherever you are at in your walk with Jesus, my aim is to encourage you. 

Take a look in your bibles at Hebrews 11.  The great hall of faith.  Beginning in vs 32, the author talks about great heroes gone by.  Those that went out on top.  They conquered kingdoms, enforced Justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, and put foreign armies to flight.  This is the kind of faith that we all envy.  Faith that makes us winners.  Then all of a sudden the author changes gears.  Others possessed great faith that didn't work out so well.  Some were tortured, mocked, flogged, stoned, sawn in two and killed with swords.  Your faith isn't about circumstances, your faith is about God.  Who knows what the temporal results will be.  The eternal results will be residing with your Christ forever.  We don't get to pick the path our life takes, but we don't have to go at it alone. 

Though the fig tree should not blossom, nor fruit be on the vines, the produce of the olive fail and the fields yield no food, the flock be cut off from the fold and there be no herd in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord; I will take joy in the God of my salvation.  God, the Lord, is my strength; he makes my feet like the deer's; he makes me tread on high places.  Habakkuk 3: 17-19

No comments:

Post a Comment